With the car now essentially done it was time to start it up and begin testing. The first thing is getting the engine running, which we can do in the Uni by pointing the car outside. We encountered problems sooner than we thought in the form of electrical miss-wiring.
I’m supervising… lol, JK.
After the guys fixed the wiring problem it was time to corner balance the car and give it a quick set up.
Pretty fucking perfect. That’s in kg, with driver.
I celebrated by showing the others I’m good enough for Cirque du Soleil.
The engine ran for a bit on Friday, so this morning we headed out to Llandow (where the BDC Round 2 Semi-Pro was held) to get some testing in.
We didn’t use the actual track, but one of the many ex-runways and open spaces that are there. The track is about 40 minutes away which can be a little inconvenient.
Global warning means that Wales now officially has good weather, I burnt.
Naturally the little battery we mount in the car doesn’t last enough to turn the engine on for the first time, needs quite a few turns.
Once started we let all the shit burn off.
There’s no excuse for not taking photos on such a day.
Time for the car to roll under its own power for the first time. Our co-ordinator/technician took it out for a quick shake down.
After a few laps around the lot we noticed the car was too low. It took some battering.
We raised it up a bit and sent it out for another run, which didn’t last long. The clutch cable end came off, which we didn’t have any spares to replace. The car is now back in Uni and the problems we had have been addressed and we’re ready for tomorrow to do some more testing, this time on Llandow’s go-kart track.